Sunday, October 2, 2011

Taylor Brown

Hi my name is Taylor Brown. I graduated last year from Olentangy Liberty. I have a younger brother and I am majoring in early childhood education. I'm hoping to teach back at Olentangy. I also enjoy horseback riding and watching movies.

"And yet, in spite of my age, I reacted in the same blind way as I had in childhood, by vainly seeking to erase through my efforts whatever drove him to drink." This part of the essay really surprised me. I can't imagine being 44 and still doing all those things for your dad to try and make him stop drinking. He knows it isn't his fault but he still continues to do things for his dad as if it's his fault. I think the author wrote this passage to finally be able to get it out of his system. He has had to keep it all a secret for so long it was probably really healing to open up about his past. I also think he wanted to help his children know and learn from his past.

6 comments:

  1. I was also surprised. It is weird to think about how someones dad drinking while they are young can so strongly effect them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Taylor, so many times people who have an addiction cannot take responsibility for their own actions. They often lay blame on others or on a certain situation. Many people fall victim to this scenario.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree completely with that! I would be ashamed to have to help my dad as grown adult myself. He is the one I'd look up to. I think his father's alcoholism is no longer is problem and thus he is writing this to finally let it out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Taylor, I agree with you. He does realize as he gets older that it isn't his fault but in the end he does feel responsible because no matter what that is his dad. Also he wants to write about this topic for his children as well. I dont think he wants his kids to go through what he through, and also for his kids to get a better understanding of their grandfather.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Taylor what year did you graduate from liberty? I have a friend that went there i wonder if you know her. I think what you said shows the that the son really cared about his dad and wanted to do what was best for him. He wants his own kids to turn out better and not have the worries that he had.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i agree with you but i think the father know he had problem .The author had hide that his father is alcoholism so he just want tell the people what had to go through in his life.He want his child to know about their grandfather .

    ReplyDelete