Thursday, November 3, 2011

My Exploration 7

Ishmael’s story gives us a very disturbing image of the county Sierra Leone while the entire county is brought to madness by a war that no one really understands. The country is in a state of complete chaos now that the rebels have started attacking citizens and stealing everything that they can get their hands on. I also found it fascinating that the soldier’s charge so much money just to get out of the country legally and some might even kill you if they catch you fleeing the city because they needed you to work there. As for amnesty for war crimes I am not so sure that it can simply be forgiven. The crimes of the child solders should be forgiven however I do not believe that the adults should be so easily forgiven. The commanders and leaders need to be brought to justice and I think that they need to pay for their crimes against the human race.

2 comments:

  1. I found it very interesting how much they charge you to get out of the country also. That just shows how they have so much control over their country. I do not think that the leaders should be punished, but maybe some help like Ishmael was given.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you that it would not be a simple matter in deciding who should be forgiven for the war crimes. I definitely think the children who were under eighteen should be forgiven of their actions completely. I was thinking though, what about the adults who had been in the war since they were under eighteen. Those disgusting methods for war were brainwashed into them as children too, so that is why it would be hard to say what is just in this situation.

    ReplyDelete