Friday, November 4, 2011

a long way gone

I thought the book was amazing. It had its ups and downs, and scenes that were hard to read, but also scene that just seem to flow off the page and make you feel better. The book had a strong message and it show the struggles of Ishmael Beah life. In the last chapter at the end, his last word really conclude the book well. “When I was seven I had an answer to this question that made sense to me. I never discussed it with anyone, though, for fear of how my mother would feel. I concluded to myself that if I were the hunter, I would shoot the monkey so that it would no longer have a chance to put other hunters in the same predicament.” This quote really captures his view on the war in Sierra Leone, and how he doesn’t want other to feel that pain.

2 comments:

  1. I thought the use of scenes was interesting in this book and really brought us into the action. I also thought the message was a good way to tie the book together at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was amazed by that quote from the book. It is hard to think about what you would do in a certain situation. It is easier to look back on your life and decide what you would do differently.

    ReplyDelete